August 27, 2015 Leave a comment
We decided to test our old proof of concept motor using the newly designed test system. It achieved 65% efficiency which is a better result than what I thought and is equivalent to the best single phase motors.
The air gaps, the distance between the magnets and the coils are 1/4″ or more, it has plastic bearing to save costs and we made the thing by hand so the rotor actually visibly wobbles. Air gaps are exponentially less efficient the farther they are apart. The closer the tolerances the more efficient an electric motor is. This is a study of single phase motor efficiency and single phase motors are our competition with seek to replace. Single Phase Efficiency
The new motor is days away from completion with the electronics being installed as I write this. It has pretty tight tolerances, 1/16″ of less and we think it will make a good test motor. We still had to do things like hand rap the coils so it isn’t perfect but it will suffice.
We will update you as the results are achieved. Our first test will be just a standard switching and we will then do some pulsing experiments, others have found to increase efficiencies.
Wish us luck.